Monday, April 26, 2010

Working in Copper Wire





I'll admit it...I'm a sterling silver girl. I like it shiny, oxidized or a little in between. Sterling is my choice wire. However, I'm willing to bend. The other day I was reading one of my old magazines about wire wrapping (these never go out of date) when I ran across a design using copper wire. Guess I've never given credit to using copper wire but it's so versatile and quite lovely actually. You can mix it with silver, antique brass or gold and it looks great. Copper is much cheaper than sterling or gold wire too. The article suggested unthought of stores to find copper wire (and of all places the hardware store). Look in the wiring section or conduit section and there you will find it. Never thought of that either. I bought a role of it at the craft store a long time ago and never really used it. Now I've been so inspired by copper jewelry artists that I'm going to give that wire new life. Here is an example of a copper wire pendant combination. I've used copper wire for the hoop and attached a gemstone pendant wire wrapped in antique brass as a drop from the copper hoop. So why not think about using some copper in your next design project. You might just discover a whole new way with wire (and save some money ta' boot).

0 comments: